In an effort to keep up my streak of being 60s gals for Halloween (Check out my Edie Sedgwick costume from 2010!), I decided to be Holly Golightly this year.
I know that everyone and their sister has been Holly Golightly, usually wearing her opening scene swanky black dress, tiara, and bouffant, so I decided to recreate my favorite Breakfast at Tiffany’s look: her grey turtleneck, black pants, and chic pigtails! It’s so simple, but so stylish:
Holly Golightly Outfit
I wore black jeans, retro oxford shoes, and a light grey turtleneck I found at Goodwill. I also wore my beige trench coat like Holly wears in the final rain scene of the movie (Also check out Blair’s recreation of this scene).
How to get Holly Golightly Pigtails
Really, being Holly Golightly is all about the hair and makeup. Here’s how to get her chic pigtails…
1.Divide your hair into two sections: One section should be from your crown to your forehead, and the other section should be your under layers, from under your crown to the bottom. Clip the bottom layer so it’s out of your way.
2. Start teasing that hair! Beginning at your crown, tease your hair at the roots. Tease it in 2 to 3-inch sections, working your way forward, from your crown to your forehead. When it comes to Holly Golightly hair, the bigger the better! Check out her volume in this side shot:
Her volume goes all the way to the front, so if you have bangs, leave them down like Holly does and tease right up to them. If not, tease your hair until there’s just a small section at the front left, and use what’s left to smooth over your teased ‘do!
3. Pin your teased hair at the back of your crown. Smooth the small section of hair you didn’t tease over the top of your bouffant. Spray that poof into place! Your hair should be half up, half down now.
4. Comb out the bottom of your hair, and divide it into two sections for pigtails.
5. Secure the pigtails with clear elastics at the nape of your neck. Spray it all into place!
Holly Golightly Makeup
Holly’s makeup is natural and pretty, which really reflects Audrey’s demure personality. Here’s how to get her look:
- Apply a foundation primer. I use Laura Mercier, and it feels really good underneath my makeup!
- Apply foundation to your entire face, and apply concealer to the under-eye area and any spots. Holly has gorgeous skin!
- Apply a neutral eye shadow over your entire lid, a light shadow at your brow bone, and a taupe/brown shadow at your crease. We’re going for really natural here.
- Your eyeliner is what will really make your makeup Holly-esque! Apply black eyeliner along your top lash line, getting in between your lashes. Make the liner thicker at the outside of your eye to give yourself big, almond eyes like Audrey’s. Let the liner on your top wing out from your eye.
- Apply liner to your bottom lash line as well, but not too thick or dark.
- Use a pretty creme blush to get a natural, rosy cheek. Apply it with your fingertips to the apple of your cheek and up your cheek bone. I like Sonia Kashuk’s creme blush at Target!
- Finish off your makeup with a translucent setting powder.
Holly Golightly Props
For casual Holly Golightly, no need for pearls, a tiara, or elbow-length gloves. A candy cigarette and an orange cat are really all you need!